Celestron CGX 800 Rowe-Ackermann Astrograph
Celestron CGX 800 Rowe-Ackermann Astrograph
Capturing impressive deep-sky astroimages is easier than ever with Celestron CGX 800 Rowe-Ackermann Astrograph, the perfect companion to today’s top DSLR or astronomical CCD cameras. This fast, wide-field f/2 system offers two huge advantages over traditional f/10 astroimaging: better apparent tracking and shorter exposures. That means you’ll create better-looking astroimages in a fraction of the time, even without the use of an autoguider.
The Celestron CGX 800 Rowe-Ackermann Astrograph builds on the legacy of Celestron’s Schmidt Camera, which allowed astrophotographers to produce images on film in the 1970s.
Unlike the larger RASAs that work with DSLR and large CCD cameras, the 8” model was designed with color astronomical CMOS cameras, smaller CCD cameras, and mirrorless cameras in mind. The telescope does not work with standard full frame DSLR cameras. It is optimized for sensors with up to a 22mm diagonal, but performs well with sensors up to 32mm diagonal. The APS-C sized sensors used in many mirrorless cameras are a good choice. 42mm full frame sensors will also work, but performance will be poor at the edges of the sensor and field illumination will be reduced. Additionally, we do not recommend pairing RASA 8 with any camera body more than 4” in diameter.
The Celestron CGX 800 Rowe-Ackermann Astrograph features newly designed optics with 4-element rare-earth glass for images free of false color and aberrations like coma and field curvature. The optical quality and spot size across the entire image circle is unprecedented for an astrograph in this price range—or even that of a much more expensive instrument. The design also provides minimal vignetting.
Advanced features like a custom engineered linear brass focuser bearing and FeatherTouch Micro Focus Knob allow you to make the fine adjustments you need to capture the perfect shot. Meanwhile, a12V MagLev fan reduces cooldown time and provides optimal airflow through the dust filtered optical tube.
Engineered as a complete astroimaging system, every component of the Celestron CGX 800 Rowe-Ackermann Astrograph is optimized for peak performance with DSLR and astronomical CCD cameras. Down to the thickness of the glass used in the included fully-multicoated optical window or an optional imaging filter, every component of the system has been taken into careful consideration to work together seamlessly.
Celestron’s workhorse CGEM mount lineup has been replaced with the all new CGX EQ, a culmination of all the advancements made to our technologies, value, and ease-of-use.
The new CGX was designed to better support your telescope for both visual and astro-imaging pursuits. Key design goals included a lower profile EQ head, which provides a more compact and therefore more stable setup; a better drive system; remote operation-friendly with home and limit optical sensors; easier polar alignment adjustments; and better cable management. In addition to that, we’ve made mechanical and ergonomic improvements throughout to make the mount sturdier, easier to use, and transport. The CGX is our new Equatorial backbone to support a wide range of telescopes. Expect to see it in many home observatories over the next while.
- 8" RASA optical tube assembly
- CGX computerized equatorial mount
- Ultra-fast, 8-inch f/2 optical design with rare-earth glass for images free of false color, coma, and field curvature. Cuts imaging time by more than half
- Custom engineered linear brass focuser bearing reduces image shift, while dual-speed 10:1 FeatherTouch Micro Focus Knob provides the most precise focusing
- Quiet, high-output 12V MagLev fan reduces cooldown time and blocks dust
- Common camera adapters (T-thread and M48) included for easy attachment to popular CCD and DSLR cameras
Computerized Mount Features:
- All-new design. Sturdier and more rigid with quicker dampening time
- Increased load capacity to 55 lbs.
- Improved motors provide more torque, better slewing and tracking under heavy loads
- Heavy Duty belt-drive system minimizes backlash while providing smooth motor operation under heavy loads
- Spring-loaded brass worm wheel and stainless steel worm gear reduce friction and provide optimum gear mesh
- Internal cabling for worry-free remote operation. Power input and accessory ports remain stationary while the mount slews to avoid snags
- Internal hard stops for both axes prevents cable tension and tripod strike
- Internal optical sensors on both axes for simple and safe remote operation
- Home sensors allow the mount to always start in the index position regardless of orientation before a power reset
- Limit sensors automatically shut off slewing or tracking before reaching the hard stop fail safe
- Brand new control software developed in conjunction with PlaneWave Instruments for professional level control operation and imaging
- Software includes multi-point mount modeling for extremely precise pointing accuracy and many more additional features for remote astroimaging
- Wider tripod stance for improved stability
- Adjustable EQ head position to optimize center of gravity over the tripod and fully utilize the increased 3º-65º latitude range
- Dual-fit CG-5/Vixen and CGE/Losmandy dovetail saddle
Improved tripod includes:
- 2" steel legs with height index marks for quick leveling
- "Jack of all trays" can hold three 1.25" eyepieces, two 2" eyepieces, your smartphone, or other accessories
- +20º of additional tracking past the meridian on either side
- Tripod legs can be collapsed with accessory tray installed for faster setup and transport
- Two handles for easy pickup and transport
- All-new ergonomically designed dovetail clamping knobs
- Innovative and improved polar alignment adjustment system
- All-new ergonomic latitude adjuster for smooth and easy adjustment under full loads
- Optional add-on polar axis finderscope here
- All-new NexStar+ hand control with USB port
- Two AUX accessory ports to support wireless/WiFi alignment and operation with StarSense AutoAlign and SkyPortal WiFi Module accessories (sold separately)
- USB 2.0 port, used to connect directly to PC with included software
- Autoguider port
- PPEC ready
- Threaded 12VDC power input barrel connector
- Internal Real Time Clock (keeps time and site information saved)
Optical Design: Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt
Aperture (mm): 203 mm (8 in)
Focal Length: 40 mm
Focal Ratio: 2
Backfocus from top of threaded collar: 29 mm
Backfocus with included camera adapters: 25 mm
Central obstruction diameter: 93mm
Finderscope: Not Included
Optical Coatings: StarBright XLT
Total OTA Weight: 17lbs
Resolution (Rayleigh): 0.68 arc seconds
Resolution (Dawes): 0.57 arc seconds
Optical Tube Length: 628mm
Dovetail Compatibility: CGE Mount
Mount: German Equatorial Mount
Instrument load capacity: 55 lbs.
Tripod height adjustment range: 47.25” to 77.5” including EQ headA
Tripod leg diameter: 2"
Latitude adjustment range: 3º-65º
Tripod Weight: 19.2 lbs.
EQ Head Weight: 44 lbs.
Max Slew Speed: 5º/second (4º/second is default)
Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
Number of Auxiliary ports (for hand control and accessories): 2
Autoguide Port: Yes
USB Port: Yes
Software: New telescope control PC software
CGX Equatorial Head
One 17 lbs counterweight
NexStar+ Hand Control
DC Power Cable (plugs into cigarette lighter socket)