Celestron Starsense Explorer 114mm Tabletop Dobsonian Push To Telescope
Starsense Explorer 114mm Tabletop Dobsonian Push To Telescope
Celestron has reinvented the Tabletop Dobsonian telescope with StarSense Explorer—the first Tabletop Dobsonian that uses your smartphone to analyze the night sky and calculate its position in real-time. This 114mm aperture Celestron StarSense Explorer is ideal for beginners, thanks to the app's user-friendly interface and detailed tutorials. It's like having your own personal tour guide of the night sky.
Dock, Launch, Explore
Leave complicated star charts, imprecise planetarium apps, and computerized mounts behind. With StarSense Explorer, locating objects has never been easier, faster, or more accurate. Within minutes of setting up the telescope, you'll be navigating the sky with confidence. Simply place your phone in the unique StarSense dock and launch the StarSense Explorer app.
After aligning your phone to the telescope's optics (a quick and easy procedure), StarSense Explorer generates a list of celestial objects currently visible. Make your selection and arrows appear on-screen, guiding you as you move the telescope. When the object is ready to view in the eyepiece, the bullseye turns green. As you observe, listen to hundreds of audio descriptions and view detailed information about thousands of objects within the app’s robust database.
High-Quality Altazimuth Base
The stable Tabletop Dobsonian base provides a sturdy foundation for StarSense Explorer. The tabletop base is compact, lightweight, and easy to transport, making it perfect for travel. The base’s low profile makes accessing the eyepiece easier for some observers (especially children). You can also place the base on a stable platform, like a table or hood of a car, to raise it to a comfortable viewing height. Consider adding the optional tripod for even more viewing options.
Teflon bearings provide smooth motion in both altitude and azimuth. The integrated altitude "brake" system allows you to adjust the tension along the altitude axis to ensure the smoothest motion, even with slight imbalances. As celestial objects appear to drift across the night sky, you'll be able to follow them easily.
The optical tube connects to the base via a tube cradle. It’s easy to adjust the tube’s position in the cradle so the focuser is in the most ergonomic viewing position. The base features an eyepiece rack to keep your extra eyepiece(s) close at hand.
Dazzling Views with Excellent Optics
With a 114mm (4.5”) parabolic primary mirror, this telescope has enough light-gathering ability to bring out detail in celestial objects. You can expect sharp, bright views of Jupiter’s four Galilean moons, its cloud bands and Great Red Spot, the rings of Saturn, the trapezium in the Orion Nebula, and the beautiful Pleiades Open Star Cluster. You'll be able to discern subtle details while viewing the Moon and planets, as well as galaxies and nebulae.
This telescope features a 1.25” rack-and-pinion focuser that accepts 1.25” eyepieces and dust covers for the front of the tube and the focuser.
Perfect for the City or Dark Sky Sites
Even if you live in a light-polluted city location, the Celestron StarSense Explorer 114mm Tabletop Dobsonian is advanced enough to easily pick out Jupiter, Saturn, open star clusters like the Pleiades, double stars like Alberio, the Orion Nebula, Andromeda Galaxy, and more of the best and brightest celestial objects.
But if you can take the telescope to an even slightly darker location, more objects will become visible. With this 114mm Dobsonian and relatively dark skies, hundreds of fascinating objects are well within your reach.
The StarSense Explorer Tabletop Dobsonian is lightweight and equipped with carry handles, making it easy to transport to your observing site.
Celestron StarSense Explorer works with most modern smartphones, including iPhone 6 and up, and most devices running Android 7.1.2 or later manufactured since 2016. For a complete compatibility list, click here.
Patented StarSense Sky Recognition Technology
StarSense Explorer uses patented technology and your smartphone to determine exactly where the telescope is pointed in the night sky. A Lost in Space Algorithm (LISA), like the ones satellites use in orbit to correctly orient themselves, helps the app match star patterns it detects overhead to its internal database.
While other astronomy apps may claim that they can help you find objects, they rely exclusively on the phone's gyros and accelerometers, which aren't as accurate as LISA technology. No other app can accurately tell you when your target is visible in the eyepiece.
- Unleash the power of your smartphone to take you on a guided tour of the night sky—no telescope experience required.
- Patented, award-winning StarSense sky recognition technology uses your smartphone to analyze star patterns overhead and calculate the telescope’s position in real-time.
- A 114mm parabolic primary mirror helps you make the most of StarSense technology. Locate faint, deep-sky objects in seconds and see them in more detail than ever before.
- A sturdy tabletop Dobsonian-style base that makes it easy to follow the on-screen arrows to your desired target. When the bullseye turns green, it's ready to view in the telescope's eyepiece.
- StarSense Explorer Powered by SkySafari™ app automatically generates a list of objects currently visible. View planets, brighter nebulae and galaxies, star clusters, and double stars from the city. Or take your telescope to darker skies to see even more.
- Includes a 17mm and 10mm Kellner eyepiece, the StarSense smartphone dock, a StarPointer™ red dot finderscope, an eyepiece rack, and a collimation cap.
Everything You Need to Observe Immediately
When you unbox your new StarSense Explorer 114mm, you’ll find:
- 114mm (4.5") Dobsonian Reflector with Parabolic Mirror
- StarSense dock for your smartphone
- Starsense Unlock Code
- 17mm Kellner Eyepiece
- 10mm Kellner Eyepiece
- Starpointer Red Dot Finderscope
- Collimation Cap
- Dobsonian Alt-Az Tabletop Mount
- Optical Design: Reflector
- Aperture: 114mm (4.5")
- Focal Length: 450mm (47.24")
- Focal Ratio: f/4
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 1 : 17mm
- Magnification of Eyepiece 1 : 26x
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 2 : 10mm
- Magnification of Eyepiece 2: 45x
- Finderscope: Starpointer Red Dot
- Mount Type: Manual Tabletop Dobsonian
- Focuser: 1.25" Rack & Pinion
- Highest Useful Magnification: 269x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 16x
- Limiting Stellar Magnitude: 12.8
- Resolution (Rayleigh): 1.21 Arcseconds
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye): 265x
- Optical Coatings: Aluminium with Silicon Dioxide overcoating
- Optical Tube Dimensions: 469mm long x 139.7mm diameter
- Optical Tube Weight: 1.9kg
- Base Dimensions: 381mm x 381mm x 393.7mm
- Base Weight: 3.81kg
- Total Kit Weight: 5.71kg
Enhance Your Setup
Mount your Tabletop Dob on a tripod.
It will go directly on the Celestron Starsense Explorer Tripod
Keep your phone charged all night while exploring with your StarSense Explorer by adding the PowerTank Glow 5000 to your must-have accessories (sold separately).
This 2-in-1 accessory was made with the StarSense Explorer Dobs in mind, it has a red flashlight PLUS a USB power bank for charging mobile devices in the field. Connect the PowerTank Glow 5000 to the two posts at the front of the StarSense Explorer dock with the included bands so it is held in a convenient location for charging your smartphone while in use.