ZWO ASI178MC USB 3.0 Back Illuminated Colour CMOS Camera
The ZWO ASI178MC comes with an exciting, comparatively large, 1/1.8″, 6.4M pixels IMX178 sensor that features Sony Starvis and Exmor R Technology.
The result is extremely low read noise (2.2e), high sensitivity and 14bit ADC (analogue-to-digital converter: the higher the better...).
The comparatively large sensor, extremely low read noise, high sensitivity and comparatively high framerates make this new camera a very good choice for various astro photography and microscopy applications.
The ASI178MC camera comes with USB3.0 connection that gives you the opportunity to use it with newer laptops and is backward compatible with USB2.0. High framerates are not a guarantee for excellent images, but certainly helpful if other circumstances are given. There is no USB 2.0 version of this camera as that simply won't be enough to use the camera's possible high framerate, plus, for the same reason, we would really recommend to use it with USB3.0 compatible hardware as that's the only way to achieve very high framerates...
It comes with an AUTOGUIDER PORT just as many other ZWO cameras, so you may use it for both imaging or guiding!
This camera will mostly be used for high magnification Lunar and Solar imaging and for microscopic imaging, but it can also be used for deep sky imaging up to a certain level as it supports up to 1000seconds exposure time. This colour camera provides you with a simple imaging process, no need to worry about filters and filter wheel, so if you cannot spend much time then this camera will prove to be a very valuable tool for you astro and microscopic imaging needs.
- Recommended for high-magnification Lunar and Solar imaging, microscopic imaging and to image some deep sky objects
- Resolution: 3096X2080 at up to 30fps (at 14bit ADC) or 60fps (at 10 bit ADC)
- Long time exposure up to 1000s!
- Autoguider Port
- Very low read noise (1.5e)
- High Sensitivity
- Full aluminum housing with standard 2" interface
- M42X0.75 internal thread.
- T-thread to C-mount adapter included
On the included CD you'll find drivers and two software applications: Firecapture and SharpCap. These are both freeware and the latest versions can be downloaded from the developers' websites.
If you have any problem with installing any of the software from the CD, please download them from here:
Firecapture Beta Downloads
We'd recommend to use the latest version of Firecapture with the USB3.0 ZWO ASI cameras...
- Sensor: 1/1.8” CMOS IMX178
- Resolution: 6.4 Mega Pixels 3096*2080
- Pixel Size: 2.4µm
- Sensor Size: 7.4mm*5mm
- Diagonal: 8.92mm
- Exposure Rage: 32µs-1000s
- ROI: Supported
- ST4 Guider Port: Yes
- Focus Distance to Sensor: 12.5mm
- Shutter Type: Rolling Shutter
- Protect window: IR-CUT window
- Operating System Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
- Interface: USB3.0/USB2.0
- Bit rate: 14bit output(14bit ADC)
- Adaptor: 2″ / 1.25″ / M42X0.75
- Dimension: φ62mm X 36mm
- Weight: 120g or 4.2 ounces (without lens)
- Working Temperature: -5°C—45°C
- Storage Temperature: -20°C—60°C
- Working Relative Humidity: 20%—80%
- Storage Relative Humidity: 20%—95%
- 10bit ADC/14bit ADC
- 3096×2080 60fps / 30fps
- 2560×2048 62fps / 31fps
- 2048×1080 116fps / 58fps
- 1280×960 130fps / 65fps
- 800×600 204.7fps / 102.3fps
- 640×480 253.1fps / 126.5fps
- 320×240 479.7fps / 239.8fps
- More resolutions can be defined by user
SOFTWARE and DRIVERS
Up-to-date drivers can be found on the manufacturer's website. Click here!
For full specification, driver installation tutorial (youtube video), basic usage information and recommended third party software please visit the manufacturer's website: ZWOptical
There is also a ZWO Forum here for ZWO camera users: ZWO USER GROUP
and also a Yahoo Group where you can find lots of information about how other members use the ZWO cameras: Yahoo Group ZWO ASI Cameras