ZWO ASI224MC USB 3.0 Colour CMOS Camera
The ZWO ASI224MC comes with an exciting a 1/3″ and 1.2M pixels IMX224 sensor that features Sony Exmor and NIR Technology.
The result is extremely low read noise (1.5e) and high sensitivity especially in the near IR Range
The comparatively small sensor, extremely low read noise, high sensitivity and achievable high framerates make this new camera a very good choice for a quality-conscious planetary imager.
We hope that it will prove to become the best colour planetary imager on the market.
The ASI224MC camera comes with USB3.0 connection that gives you the opportunity to use it with newer laptops and is backward compatible with USB2.0. High framerates are not a guarantee for excellent images, but certainly helpful if other circumstances are given. There is no USB 2.0 version of this camera as that simply won't be enough to use the camera's possible high framerate, plus, for the same reason, we would really recommend to use it with USB3.0 compatible hardware as that's the only way to achieve very high framerates...
It comes with an AUTOGUIDER PORT just as many other ZWO cameras, so you may use it for both imaging or guiding!
This camera will mostly be used for imaging planets, but it can also be used for deep sky imaging up to a certain level as it supports up to 1000seconds exposure time. This colour camera provides you with a simple imaging process, no need to worry about filters and filter wheel, so if you cannot spend much time and happy to go for a slight compromise, this is probably the best colour planetary imager today that you can buy in this price range (and it would beat many much more expensive cameras as well...)
Features of the ZWO ASI224MC Camera
- Recommended for the planets and some deep sky objects
- Resolution: 1304X976 at up 64fps (at 12bit ADC) or 150fps (at 10 bit ADC)
- Long time exposure up to 1000s!
- Autoguider Port
- Very low read noise (1.5e)
- High Sensitivity, especially in IR range
- Full aluminum housing with standard 2" interface
- M42X0.75 internal thread.
- T-thread to C-mount adapter included
On the included CD you'll find drivers and two software applications: Firecapture and SharpCap. These are both freeware and the latest versions can be downloaded from the developers' websites.
If you have any problem with installing any of the software from the CD, please download them from here:
Firecapture Beta Downloads
We'd recommend to use the latest version of Firecapture with the USB3.0 ZWO ASI cameras...
- Sensor: 1/3” CMOS IMX224/IMX225
- Resolution: 1.2Mega Pixels 1304X976
- Pixel Size: 3.75µm
- Sensor Size: 4.8mm*3.6mm
- Diagonal: 6.09mm
- Exposure Rage: 32µs-1000s
- ROI: Supported
- ST4 Guider Port: Yes
- Focus Distance to Sensor: 12.5mm
- Shutter Type: Rolling Shutter
- Protect window: AR coated window
- Operating System Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
- Interface: USB3.0/USB2.0
- Bit rate: 12bit output(12bit ADC)
- Adaptor: 2″ / 1.25″ / M42X0.75
- Dimension: φ62mm X 36mm
- Weight: 120g or 4.2 ounces (without lens)
- Working Temperature: -5°C—45°C
- Storage Temperature: -20°C—60°C
- Working Relative Humidity: 20%—80%
- Storage Relative Humidity: 20%—95%
- 10bit ADC / 12bit ADC
- 1304×976 150fps / 64fps
- 1280×960 152.4fps / 65fps
- 800×600 241.2fps / 102.9fps
- 640×480 299.4fps / 127.6fps
- 320×240 577.9fps / 256.4fps
- More resolutions can be user defined
SOFTWARE and DRIVERS
Up-to-date drivers can be found on the manufacturer's website. Click here!
For full specification, driver installation tutorial (youtube video), basic usage information and recommended third party software please visit the manufacturer's website: ZWOptical
There is also a ZWO Forum here for ZWO camera users: ZWO USER GROUP
and also a Yahoo Group where you can find lots of information about how other members use the ZWO cameras: Yahoo Group ZWO ASI Cameras