Celestron NexStar 6SE
Celestron’s signature orange-tube telescope combines advanced features and excellent optics in one easy-to-use system, the affordable NexStar 6SE.
Our Founder’s Vision, Reimagined for the 21st Century
In the 1970s, Celestron’s Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes brought the hobby of astronomy to the masses and established Celestron as the world’s premier telescope maker. Our founder, Tom Johnson, invented Celestron’s proprietary method of producing Schmidt corrector plates for superior views and maximum portability. Johnson believed in creating high-quality optical instruments at an affordable price, and inspired a generation of amateur astronomers.
Four decades later, we’ve improved upon this design by adding cutting-edge features, while staying true to our founder’s intent.
View the Universe’s Most Impressive Celestial Objects
The 6SE’s six-inch primary mirror packs enough light-gathering ability to observe the best that the solar system has to offer: Saturn’s rings, the cloud bands on Jupiter, and geographic features on the surface of the Moon. When it comes to deep sky objects, take your 6SE to a dark-sky site and you’ll see hundreds of pinpoint stars in the Hercules Globular Cluster, the spiral arms of the Whirlpool Galaxy, and more.
Revolutionary Single Fork Arm Mount
We know the best telescope is the one you will use most often. That’s why Celestron’s engineers created NexStar SE’s unique, patented single fork arm mount. It’s perfectly portable and makes setup quick and easy. What’s more, the NexStar SE breaks down into several lightweight and compact pieces, making it easy to transport, even in small vehicles. You’ll have no problem getting the NexStar SE to your favorite observing site, or setting it up quickly in your backyard.
Of course, it’s what’s inside the mount that really counts. Sturdy construction from high-quality components give NexStar SE the pointing and tracking accuracy needed to observe and follow your favorite targets with push-button ease. Use the included NexStar+ hand control to locate over 40,000 celestial objects, or take a Sky Tour and let your telescope show you the best objects currently visible.
Aligning your telescope is simple and painless, too, thanks to SkyAlign. This process makes alignment as easy as 1-2-3: just center three bright objects in your eyepiece and press ALIGN. For even easier alignment, attach our StarSense AutoAlign and your NexStar SE aligns itself!
Advanced Features Let the NexStar SE Grow with You
The NexStar SE is compatible with all the high-tech accessories advanced users love. Provide GPS coordinates to your telescope with SkySync, or add automatic alignment functionality with StarSense AutoAlign.
For planetary imaging, pair your NexStar 6SE with one of our Skyris cameras. Or, experiment with wide-field deep sky astroimaging by replacing the telescope’s secondary mirror with a DSLR or astronomical CCD camera with a Fastar/HyperStar lens assembly. From your first observing session and for years to come, the NexStar SE is your trusted companion.
- Celestron’s iconic “orange tube” design is updated with all the latest features to provide the best stargazing experience for beginners and experienced observers alike.
- 6-inch aperture provides excellent light-gathering ability at an affordable price. You’ll get impressive views of the Moon and planets, along with deep sky objects like the Orion Nebula, while retaining a compact form factor.
- Fully automated GoTo mount with database of 40,000+ celestial objects automatically locates and tracks objects for you.
- SkyAlign technology gets your telescope aligned and ready to observe in minutes. Even if you’re unfamiliar with the night sky, you can easily align your telescope on any three bright objects.
- Unique single fork arm design and sturdy steel tripod all break down into separate components for easy transport and quick assembly.
- Optical Design: Schmidt-Cassegrain
- Aperture (mm): 150 mm (5.91 in)
- Focal Length: 1500 mm
- Focal Ratio: F/10
- Focal Length of Eyepiece 1 (mm): 25 mm
- Magnification of Eyepiece 1: 60 x
- Finderscope: StarPointer
- Star Diagonal: 1.25"
- Mount Type: Single Fork Arm Altazimuth
- Tripod: Steel leg
- Power Requirements: 8-AA batteries (not included)
- Highest Useful Magnification: 354 x
- Lowest Useful Magnification: 21 x
- Optical Coatings: StarBright XLT
- Optical Tube Length: 16 in (406 mm)
- Total Telescope Kit Weight: 21 lbs (9.53 kg)
- Slew Speeds: Nine slew speeds
- Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Solar and Lunar
- Tracking Modes: Alt-Az, EQ North & EQ South
- Alignment Procedures: SkyAlign, Auto 2-Star Align, 1-Star Align, 2-Star Align, Solar System Align
- Communication Ports: RS-232 communication port on hand control, Aux
- Computer Hand Control: Double line, 16 character Liquid Crystal Display with 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons
- Database: 40,000 objects, 200 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects